Old April 17th 04, 10:45 AM
Jon Senior

Default Slightly [OT] but I like this

"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message
news:4080e0c0.0@entanet...

I don't think physical "traffic calming" is good for drivers or
cyclists. Speed cushions are particularly horrible as they encourage
drivers not to give you any clearance when overtaking, for fear of
hitting the blasted things head-on.

A set of these (I think that's what they are. Soft bumps that sit in the
middle of the lane.) between Edinburgh and Musselborough exists on my
regular commute. I've only once had someone try to overtake me at any point
on the route and they changed their mind before it became an issue. The gaps
at the sides mean that I can travel at a constant speed, while the cars are
forced to slow down at each bump.

Quote from the article:
Brian Coleman, deputy leader of the London Assembly Conservatives, says the
speed camera plans will mean residents "getting clobbered all the time by
fines".

That's real special. The plan was to a) Set a 20mph limit. b) Enforce it. Mr
Coleman doesn't appear to understand these simple facts.

Jon

---