Old April 17th 04, 06:39 PM
Iain Jones

Default Slightly [OT] but I like this

Zog The Undeniable wrote in news:4080e0c0.0@entanet:

I don't think physical "traffic calming" is good for drivers or
cyclists. Speed cushions are particularly horrible as they encourage
drivers not to give you any clearance when overtaking, for fear of
hitting the blasted things head-on.

There's a road in Liverpool with the full-width speed ramps, except for a
gap at either end for the cycle lanes to pass through. So of course,
traffic zooming along goes into the cycle lane so only their driver's side
wheels have to cross the ramp, so they don't have to slow down as much.
They do this even when there's cyclists using the lane (it's the main cycle
route to the university) and I've seen many side-swipes. I stopped using
that road long ago.