Old October 17th 17, 06:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bicycling & health benefits of?

On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 12:30:27 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 8:45:13 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

Another thing, it seems to me that number of "cyclists" are sometimes
based on some pretty loose values. One report I read counted cyclists
as "has ridden a bicycle at least once in the last year".

Another, "THE U.S. BICYCLE MARKET, A Trend Overview, Author: Brad
Edmondson" (study period 2000 - 2010)
counted anyone that has ridden 6 times in the last year, in one
portion of the report and as anyone that has ridden 110 days in the
past 12 months in another.

Comparing the two statistics it appears that the 6 times a year
numbers decreased over the study period from ~15% of the population to
~13% of the population. The 110 day riders remained basically flat
from 8.7% of the population in 2000 to 8.1% in 2010.

I am pretty sure I qualify as a serious, dedicated cyclist. But I don't know if I cycle 110 days per year. That is pretty much every three days. Little bit more than twice per week. Where I live I cycle 2 times in Dec-Jan-Feb months. And other weeks where I am lucky to cycle once per week.

I should say I definitely cycled more than 110 days a year when I commuted to work. I cycled 250 days a year when I commuted to work. Less cycling days now that I don't commute or work.