Old July 4th 16, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

Default Why do pedestrians

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 17:37:18 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra crossings?

Because the driver was being nice to them. Waving is polite.

Is it because motorists so rarely give way to pedestrians at zebra crossings

The pedestrian shouldn't expect the first car to give way. They should expect someone to give way once they're stood facing the road and it's obvious they want to cross and the car can stop at a sensible rate. So many times I see idiot drivers slam on their brakes (sometimes skidding) because they "must" stop for the pedestrian they nearly slid into. Or drivers stopping for a pedestrian that's just walking past the end of the zebra and didn't want to cross.

let alone side roads?

What? I assume you mean a pedestrian wants to cross a sideroad at the end of it, and a car is turning into that sideroad. The pedestrian has no more right of way than just crossing a plain straight road. They should check for cars from all three directions.

Or are we so deep into the car culture that pedestrians are grateful not to be mown down by cars every time the go out?

Adding pedestrian precincts and chicanes and speedbumps irritates motorists. And you expect them to be nice in return?!?

How many drivers thank other drivers for stopping at a give way line?

I often see drivers thank me (when I'm also driving) for stopping at a chicane where they have priority. Or for not going round a parked car and letting them through on their own side of the road. It's quite weird.

I can see no difference between a zebra crossing and a give way junction from a vehicle users point of view.

They're nothing like each other. A zebra only becomes active once a pedestrian wants to cross it, and has given cars enough time to notice them and stop. A give way line is usually at a road that is busier than the one you're exiting, so there is bound to be something to wait for.

--
The state of Texas has executed yet another inmate. But Unforeseen legal issues have arisen. The state has killed so many people this year, it must now register as a tobacco company.