Old April 14th 17, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Getting into and out of streamliner recumbents

On 4/14/2017 3:07 PM, DougC wrote:
On 4/14/2017 12:44 PM, wrote:
Interestingly enough a normal recumbent three wheeler is hard to get
on and off of perhaps the two wheelers are easier. But I can hardly
picture how you would get on and off of those streamlined ones.

But I think that they are a good idea. Now only would they give you
additional speed (a friend of mine who rides a standard two wheel
recumbent says that it's reasonably easy for him to ride at 40) but
also protection from the weather. Though the idea of windshield wipers
for fully enclosed models appears to be somewhat daunting.

Another thing is that you could have the streamliner painted a bright
color to make it a lot more visible than a non-covered version.

Velo windshields fog up on the inside surface, in the rain. The
windshields flip up and end up being just a visor in rainy weather.

The racing 2-wheel streamliners can't be used solo at all, since the
shells are totally enclosed and are taped shut after the rider is inside.

So far the /only/ 2-wheel streamliners I've heard of being sold for
street use is the Peregrin-on-Birk
http://speedbikes.ch/en/peregrin-on-a-birk/
it is built very nice but the typical delivered price is $30K - $35K.

If you get a long-wheelbase recumbent and add a front fairing and
bodysock, you can get most of the aero gains of a hard shell with very
little cost and weight added. They look dorky but a decent job can add
5-7 mph to your flat-ground cruising speeds, assuming you have the
gearing for that.

I've wondered how stable those things are in gusting crosswinds. Any idea?

--
- Frank Krygowski