Old May 29th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David Reuteler[_2_]

Default stopping wheel theft?

Alan Hoyle wrote:
There exist several options that replace the quick release skewers
with more secure locking skewers which require a compact, but
specialized tool to release or sometimes a normal hex key. For
example:

http://www.rei.com/product/732406
http://www.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=3071653
http://www.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=3071870

probably the best of breed is the pitlock skewer. peterwhite & urbanbiketech
both sell 'em

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/pitlock.asp
http://www.urbanbiketech.com/

pitlock has the added advantage of also producing a set for securing your
threadless headet -- a not insignicant feature since you could just slide
off the fork and take the wheel w/ it. no fix for threaded headsets, tho.

i use it to secure my schmidt dynohub on my commuter.

and it's always fun to watch the shop mechanic struggle with it.
--
david reuteler