Old September 25th 18, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

Default Cyclists waste petrol

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 02:38:14 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/24/2018 02:00 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
I assume you mean when paying by cash. I've never seen a cash pump in
the UK. I use a debit card, I put it in first, then it charges me for
however much gas I take.

This was the first one I've seen that takes cash and it was at a station
that just opened this summer.

In France I came across something very annoying, especially as I couldn't
read the notice telling me what to do. You paid to the cashier woman, but
you had to go give her your card first, to prevent petrol theft.

It doesn't prevent petrol theft because you can
just give her a maxed out or cancelled card.

On another occasion (in France) I wasn't watching the pump, but heard it
come on as I pressed the lever. When it stopped I went to pay, and they
refused to take my money. I left wondering why

they were giving me free petrol, then realised my tank was still
empty. The noise must have been for the other side.