Old June 9th 16, 08:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

Default AG: Cleaning bottles

On Wed, 08 Jun 2016 20:35:50 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Bottles are popping out all over.

A few days after posting, I wanted to walk a mile on a hot day and
couldn't find my 250 ml water bottle[1], so I dove into my
assorted-container cupboard in search of a substitute. In plain
sight, in front of the box of small containers I was after, was a
water bottle I'd put away last fall. I moved it to the bottle holder
of my Trek Pure, and hope that I don't fill it any time soon. A
reasonable hope; my pedal-powered wheelchair is easy on the knees, but
stretching up to the high, one-position handlebars aggravates my
rotator cuff. Which took me a while to discover, and delayed the
healing.

Then a few days ago I got fed up with the all-synthetic gloves I wear
under warm gloves, threw them into the laundry closet to be washed and
put away for the summer, and went looking for my weight-lifting
gloves. (Cotton-back cycling gloves are sometimes available, but
don't come small enough for my dainty hands.) When I opened the
bike-accessories cupboard, there, front and center, were two black
bike bottles. Well one, identifiable by the bottle cage still
attached, is a walk-behind lawnmower bottle. I don't know how long
it's been since we got rid of the walk-behind. Those bottles will
need a thorough cleaning before they are put back into service, which
won't be soon because I tend to carry spare water in quart-size square
Rubbermaid bottles.

Then this evening, while getting ready to roll out two and a half
hours before I normally wake up, I decided to freeze some tea in my
Sheriff Goshert bottle. (Don't ask me what that's about; I acquired
it at a garage sale, and didn't ask for provenance.) I've known all
along that it was in the fridge, but what I didn't know was that there
was half an inch of some sort of beverage and a bunch of tea leaves in
it. I hope they were tea leaves. I guess I didn't know that the last
warm day was the last one. One thorough cleaning later, it's in the
freezer, tipped on its side so the half-cup of tea won't break it when
it expands. I hope I remember to fill it and take it with me in the
groggy morning.

[1] The pocket-size water bottle was in the fridge in plain sight,
and now has a cup of water and a few sprigs of basil in it, ready for
my next sweaty walk.

I've been freezing a bottle of drink for a year or two now. In the
climate here a refrigerated bottle stays "cool", well less than
ambient temperature, for no longer than an hour while a frozen bottle
will go for maybe two hours, or perhaps a bit shorter time.

I tried one of those stainless thermos bottles but wasn't impressed,
and will next try to freeze one and see how it lasts.

When worse comes to worst nearly every filling station has a small
"7-11" type shop so chilled bottled water is nearly always available.

--
cheers,

John B.