Old May 16th 06, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Lights without batteries?

Peter Clinch wrote:
Don Whybrow wrote:

Considering that there does not appear to be any storage within the
light for stand time, I would also avoid like the proverbial.

Lots of very respected dynamo lamps don't have standlight storage. Do
people really avoid the SON E6 "like the proverbial"?

I use standlights, but they're not as important as made out above.

The name of this thread suggests to me that we are talking about getting
suitable lights on the bike without using batteries. You may well have
interpreted it differently, but that was how I was reading it.

Personally, I would not like to be waiting at a junction on a cold
winter night without lights. The HC requires that you are lit, it does
not say that you should only be lit when moving. If I were to use a
power generation system on my bike, and to be honest I do like the idea
of getting a dynamo, I would want to fit lights that have standlight
storage. As an alternative one could always put on additional battery
powered lights, but that rather defeats the object.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"My God! The thought of that evil man, loose in London--with
money, from God only knows what source--fomenting riot and
rebellion during a public emergency--and in control of an Engine-
driven press! It's nightmarish!" (Gibson-Sterling, "The
Difference Engine")