Old June 8th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danny Colyer

Default Fixed Penalty Charge - for unicycling

semach.the.monkey wrote:
Now, I know that none of you are UK lawyers (or if you are, I’m not
expecting legal representation), but I’d like to know what the legal
standpoint is with unicycles on the pavement in England. I’ve used the
search facility, but haven’t come up with anything more than vague
rumour, speculation or feelings. Does anyone know where I could
actually look up what the law is regarding this, or how I would go
about finding out?

I've never managed to find a definitive answer. I believe that an 1851
amendment to the 1835 Highway Act made pavement cycling illegal, and I
understand that the definition probably covers unicycles, but I haven't
actually read the legislation.

You could do worse than reading:
http://www.unicycle.org.uk/thelaw.html

I remember that, at the time the fixed penalty notice was introduced,
someone wrote a letter to the Home Office asking what the situation for
unicycles would be. He received a reply from a Home Office minister
(Paul Boateng IIRC) stating that the FPN should *not* be applied to
unicyclists. Although the application of the FPN in this case is
within the letter of the law, it is against Home Office guidelines.

I thought I had a copy of this letter, but I can't seem to find it. I
suggest posting to uk_unicyclists to ask if anyone has a copy or can
remember who it was sent to. If you can get a copy then I should
imagine it would be extremely valuable in fighting your case.

--
Danny Colyer

http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
http://www.usenet.com