Old August 1st 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Highest paved roads

bob sullivan wrote:
SNIP
Some neat information, like the fact that at 14,130 feet,
Mt. Evans, Colorado is the highest paved road climb in North
America.

Good thing to remember on Evans is that after you ride up it, you have
to ride back down. It's not just very high, it's also very narrow,
winding, and heavily traveled. I drove up that peak in '89, and a couple
of cyclists saw my bike rack and bummed a ride back down. They were
visibly relieved not to be facing that descent.

Bill

__o | Look to the past and remember no empire rises
_`\(,_ | that sooner or later won't fall.
(_)/ (_) | --Al Stewart