Old February 10th 10, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

Default Bicycle Wheel Building Workshop - Cambridge - 6 Mar 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:50:03 -0000, A.Dazzle wrote:
"thirty-six" wrote in message
On 9 Feb, 21:30, David Green wrote:

This is a practical course where you learn how to assemble and
true strong and durable bicycle wheels. You will learn to build
’standard’ (36 spoke cross-3) wheels using proven wheel building
techniques based on sound principles. Places are restricted to
ensure a high teacher-student ratio.

£75 for a cup of tea of which the mug needs to bring his own
student, a sham. Brandt's book is not accepted, it's a sham. He
makes grave errors which encourage the reader to build an
inadequate and dangerous wheel with a poor expected lifespan
(wheel or rider). Basing a practical course on this peicew of
fiction is downright dangerous. I advise anybody foolhardy enough
to accept tutoring by David Green, to etch his name on their wheel
so that he may be persued for damages in the event of your death
due to wheel collapse.

Any links, references, etc for this bit:
'Brandt's book is not accepted, it's a sham. He makes grave
errors which encourage the reader to build an inadequate and dangerous
wheel with a poor expected lifespan (wheel or rider). '

No, there aren't. The book is the definitive classic text on the
subject, and countless wheels have been built by the methods
described. By 'not accepted', 36 means 'neat accepted by 36'.

36 is a tied-and-soldered nut. I think the most likely background is
that 36 built a wheel and it was a decidedly shoddy job. Rather than
concluding that he cocked it up, he decided that the instructions must
be at fault. The fact that countless other people have built wheels
following the methods in that book simply proves how wrong they are
(or something). 36 and 36 alone knows how to build proper wheels -
everyone else is simply an accident waiting to happen.

I follow the methods set out by Jobst Brandt. The first wheel I
built, I needed to give it a minor true after a couple of months use.
The other wheels I've built have never seen a spoke-key since the day
they were built, and all are still true. Some have had decades of use
at thousands of miles a year (those with hub braking - generally rims
wear out sooner than that). Not one wheel built by me has ever
collapsed.

As to the course - I learn best from books and self-propelled
trial-and-error. Some people learn best from example and being
taught. I think I've only heard one comment about these workshops and
that was glowingly positive

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig