Old August 16th 13, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Replacing wheelset--stick with freewheel or go with cassette?

On 8/16/2013 10:19 AM, wrote:
My old Steve Bauer is in need of a front wheel (hub is shot) and rear wheel (replacement rim likes to go out of true and spoke tension is inconsistent).

The bike is from 1987 and originally came with a six-speed freewheel, SIS, and cone-and-cup bearings. Currently it has a seven-speed freewheel, which the (second?) replacement SIS downtube shifter handles pretty well.

Should I go with a vintage wheelset, with threading for a freewheel, and cone-and-cup bearings? Or should I switch to a newfangled freehub, which I assume is likely to come with sealed (?) or cartridge bearings?

The cost difference is probably not that great, looking at used wheelsets.

I understand that the rear axle length might or will be longer, and the frame would have to be spread a bit. A local bike shop says they have the jig to do this.

The bicycle is typically used for commuting over often poorly-patched pavement. The seven-speed 13-28 freewheel serves me well. I don't see a big need for extra gears. I want to keep a downtube shifter. I would be willing to replace the shifter and its entire stack of shims and washers and whatever, because I am sure that some shims and washers are missing already. I don't know if an 8-speed downtube shifter and all its associated hardware is available at a reasonable price.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Ed

Changing to a cassette wheel has real advantages in axle
durability and ease of future service but that means your
increment for this change will include a cassette and chain.
Since you didn't mention axle troubles I assume you're a
lighter rider where the differences are smaller.

A new set of freewheel wheels would be the simplest cheapest
solution. Changing to cassette wheels means a minor rear
alignment (neither complex nor expensive) to 130mm.

Cartridge bearing wheels may have some advantage but are not
impervious to salt water. Better than an out of the box
cheap wheel, but probably not a lot better than a properly
lubricated and adjusted loose bearing hub.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/