Old September 27th 20, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

Default Holy Cow! was: I approved of a road bike on a sidewalk.

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 19:44:38 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 11:23:45 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I wish I could take the mayor for a ride.

Perhaps someone did. I went to look at the pylons this morning, and
there weren't any.

It's more likely that the street department said "Okay, the mayor has
had his fun; we want our pylons back."

At any rate, it was safe to ride on Main today (light traffic, so I
could ride in the middle and move into the "buffered bike lane" only
when someone was overtaking.

I think that "buffered" means that they have marked the left half of
the anti-bike lane with diagonal lines. I should have gotten off and
measured it. It's *way* too narrow to allow four feet of clearance
just by "alert drivers that the bike lanes are not intended for
motorized travel".

Not to mention that there are driveways every few feet on the "bike
lane" side of the street.

I went back to the newspaper for 22nd September for the quote, and
noticed that it is a "month-long bicycle-lane education program" that
continues "through October", so I guess it hasn't started yet.

Pity my current printer doesn't work on sticky labels. They are
putting up yard signs.

Most of our larger roads have an outside lane, whether parking,
breakdown or bus, that is normally used for bicycles also and seems to
work pretty and as well as highway regulation, here, require that
"bicycles and motorcycles" travel on "the side of the road" which
means just that, i.e., not out in the middle of the lane.

I've seen one dedicated "bike lane" in Bangkok which in reality is a
rather wide and little used sidewalk, but also very bumpy, and I've
never seen a bicycle on it. I also know of two "lanes" actually the
maintenance roads in a park and another around the "New" airport that
bicycles use.

But I suspect that the biggest difference is that there is a policy
here that in a collision the biggest guy is in the wrong, unless of
course he can prove different. So if a car hits a bicycle the car is
normally liable for any and all costs, hospital, damage to the bike
and even funeral costs in the event of death. I believe that it does
make things a bit different.

--
Cheers,

John B.