Old April 18th 08, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Default Shimano/Taya/Sigma chain link - what's the secret ?

N_Cook wrote:
No tools it said - what a clever idea I thought.
Not unless you have the fingers of a rock climber , or what is the
secret. One thing I learnt long, long ago , tie a bit of wire a few
links back either side of the link before removing or replacing to
take the tension off the link area.

With these links the only way I could put one end on the pin and then
just preliminary place the other one was to put a bit of a set in
that closure link, so it would slide over the top of the second pin
when firmly pushed by finger.
Then 2 pairs of molegrips, not particularly firmly gripping but
enough to be able to flex the made-bridge piece enough to complete
the locked closure.

I don't know exactly what product you're talking about. Can you post a link
to a picture?

SRAM Powerlinks are easy to manage without tools once you get the knack.
Not easy to describe in words, though. Please search the uk.rec.cycling
archives (via Google Groups) for attempts.

Flexing doesn't sound a good idea. You do not want to cause damage and
increase chance of snapping.

~PB