Old January 9th 04, 06:09 PM
Stephen Harding

Default Mtn Lions and Bikes

Looks like one MTB'er was killed by a mountain lion out
in CA yesterday, and another attacked. I don't really know
the details yet.

It's probably pointless to ask, but I'm actually quite
curious. What would you do if you were on your MTB and
out in front of you stepped a mountain lion?

Generally you won't have the time to think, since these
critters are typically ambush type predators, hitting you
from behind (a pussy cat trait in general, and why people
living in India where man eating tigers are present, wear
masks with a face on the back of their heads).

Depends on terrain, but do you think you could accelerate
up to 25 mph on a flat smooth trail pretty quick? I'll bet
I could! Do you even attempt to run/pedal away? Do you ward
off the beast somehow with the bike? Abandon the bike and
make a grab for a bike stick or stones? Stay perfectly still
and hope "Big Tabby" goes away?

BTW, I've only been in and out of this group lately, so I was
wondering, has there been a helmet flame war yet this year?
(I noticed we've gotten right into the SUV debates already.)

No??!!! Well...

I'll bet that biker would be alive today if he'd been wearing
his helmet!

[wink, wink]

SMH