Old June 25th 05, 12:31 AM
Chuck

On 2005-06-24, The Wogster wrote:
C.J.Patten wrote:
"The Wogster" wrote in message
snip Weight is a simple formula, Energy-In - Energy Out = Weight-Change.

If you take in 1000 calories (Energy-In), and sit in front of the idiot
box for four hours, burning 100 Calories, then Weight Change = 900
Calories, so you gain weight.

If you take in the same 1000 Calories, and go ride your bike up big-ass
hill, burning off 1900 Calories, then Weight-Change = -900 so you lose
weight.

snip

Agreed with all you were saying.

The *encouraging* thing is the changes that need to be made to lose weight
are comparatively small!

Cutting 500 calories a day from most people's diet isn't that difficult. A
can of pop is 100+ calories, a chocolate bar is 250ish... there's 350 right
there! A few slices of cheese puts that over 500.

A few *small* changes, turning them into habits and you end up with a
healthy lifestyle.
I'm speaking from personal experience here.

Last month I was 260lbs. I'm now down to 248lbs. YAY! 8D

Congrats. A good thing to do is target, maybe that double century ride
the local bike club does every summer, target it for next year. That
means you need to be start training, now. Cycling at 10MPH burns
around 26 calories per mile (150lb rider), the heavier the rider, the
more calories burned. The faster the rider, the more calories burned.

Each pound is 3500 Calories, so you need to find the balance point, at
what point does Energy-In equal Energy-Out, it's different for everyone.

I was wondering when somebody was going to mention that. Back when I had
Graves disease, I'd eat 6000+ calories/day and still lose weight whether
or not I would exercise. Fortunately, decreased performance helped me in
seeking treatment.

Even though I'm cured of the Graves, between biking and running I find
it hard to keep my weight up. I like the idea of being fit, but not have
pencil thin arms and flat chest with huge legs. Crosstraining is the
key. For me, the average week of 175 miles biking, 25 miles running,
6hrs, weighlifting, allows me to gorge like a pig on whatever I feel
like having.

Then intentionally balance to the negative, so that energy-in is less
then energy-out. That could mean that you can have the burger with the
works, and no desert, or have the salad with no dressing, and the pie.
Or have the burger and the pie, followed by a 100 mile bike ride, all up
hill...... At some point, you decide to have the salad with no
dressing, skip the pie, then do part of the bike ride anyway.

It's a good idea when the goal is to lose weight, or recovering from
injury. The injury thing is scary because once you get used to eating a
certain way and then take away the exercise the results could be bad.