Old June 20th 18, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Helmet News

On 6/19/2018 1:35 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B Slocomb wrote:

One of the problems is that it isn't a simple
A=B equation. Was the guy with (or without)
the helmet drinking or taking dope? Were the
helmet wearers (non wearers) obeying the
traffic code? Was it night (day), did that
make a difference?

This isn't a helmet problem at all, almost
every study I've read eliminated some
variables in order to attempt to get a viable
answer to the question of Why?

Or, to be honest, in some cases to the
question, "Is this going to show what I want
it to"?

Nah, I think it is possible to conduct
investigations that aren't biased and give
a good enough indication. I think there are
plenty enough of good researchers around the
globe to carry that off.

OMG, there have been endless studies, all that show a benefit to helmet
usage to some degree. The problem is not a lack of studies, it's that
those that are opposed to helmet usage will ALWAYS nitpick some aspect
of even the most rigorous study, and proclaim that the results are invalid.