Old February 14th 07, 05:05 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mamba

Default RR: Los Barriles, Baja

"Paladin" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 12, 5:00 pm, "Mamba" wrote:
Had a chance to do some limited riding while staying in Los Barriles,
about
60 miles north of Cabo San Lucas. I've done a bit of desert riding
before,
but it was mostly coastal sandy track stuff. This was a sweet
combination
of dirt/rock singletrack with a fair amount of elevation change, and the
normal desert penalties for error if you stray off the narrow trails.

Nice stuff. I understand there are many miles of trails close to town in
the surrounding hills, although we did only a couple of trail variations.
Best to ride early morning even at this time of year, it got pretty hot
by
10 am. The moderate trails we rode were actually pretty gnarley for an
intermediate rider like me. Lots of deep rain wash ruts combined with
loose
rocks from baby-head to medicine-ball size. Certainly enough to keep us
very entertained without being life-threatening. The paved road and
traffic
from Los Barriles to the trailheads is probably the most dangerous part
of
the ride.

So if you're into MTBiking along with windsurfing or deep sea fishing,
here's a spot where you can do many things. Decent hardtails available
for
rental from the Vela operation at Playa del Sol hotel near the south end
of
town.

Cheers
Gary

Can you post any pictures? Sounds like cool terrain.

CDB

It is very cool terrain, well, to someone from the PNW anyways. Lots of
sand, dry washes, granite, and every manner of spiny vegetation you can
think of. Sadly, the pics we took were for the benefit of family and
friends who are not riders, so they contain mostly us (the obligatory
couple) posed in front of mongo cactus, etc. Perhaps I'll try to hunt down
a couple that at least show the hills surrounding the town, as that's where
the trails are.

I suspect the terrain is not unlike venues in SoCal or the drier areas of
Utah or Texas, not that I've ridden there. Interesting that we hit it
during the wetter season, and after a long period of cloudy, cool and wet
weather. Still arid and parched by our standards, but various cactii were
blooming and it was very pretty if you took a close look around.

Cheers
Gary (W)