Old February 20th 07, 08:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
pete fagerlin

Default RR: Los Barriles, Baja

G.T. wrote:

On the beach on the North end of town.
http://www.paradigmhosting.net/images/rk2.jpg

View from the beach to my bussy's house in the hills above Los Barilles:
http://www.paradigmhosting.net/images/rk1.jpg

Now that's a McMansion!

We must have drastically different views of the definition of
"McMansion" then.

This is the way that I've heard it used:

"McMansion is a slang architectural term which first came into
use in the United States during the 1980s as a pejorative
description and an idiom. It describes a particular style of
housing that—as its name suggests—is both large like a mansion
and as culturally ubiquitous as McDonald's fast food restaurants.

In addition to ubiquity, almost every reason to poke fun at
McDonald's has been applied metaphorically to "McMansions".
These criticisms include the deviation from traditional local
or regional architectural style, a gaudy, sterile,
mass-produced appearance, and perceived negative effects on
nature and neighborhoods."