Old September 3rd 09, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

Default what size is a typical axle nut?

On Sep 2, 11:58*pm, Peter Cole wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
just curious, stopped to help a lady the other night with a flat but
I couldn't because neither one of us had a wrench for her nutted
axles. *I think the last time I had a bike without QRs was probably
the X-mart BMX I had as a kid. *13mm or other? *I don't carry any
wrenches at all because anything requiring a wrench on my own bike is
likely not going to get fixed at the side of the road. *Was thinking
of throwing a cheap wrench in my toolkit just for future incidents
like this. *I know it's silly but I just can't resist anything
mechanical and busted.

nate

Make it a crescent wrench & you're covered.

OK, I'm not really a weight weenie, but that seems a little excessive

I have a couple cheap metric wrenches that I got with lots of yard sale
tools that had other stuff I wanted in them, and they weren't awful
enough to throw out, just wondering which one to toss in the seat bag.

nate

Well if you're into damsels in distress, you've got to make sacrifices.
It's one thing to carry a wrench for your own bike, another to cover
anything you happen upon. Personally, I carry no tools, save a tire iron
& patch kit, spare tube or 2 and a frame pump. I could have probably
rescued your damsel.

That's my usual kit as well, plus a multi-tool, but since my bike has
no hex fasteners at all save for the nuts holding the rack to its
straps the multi-tool only has hex keys. I figure carrying cone
wrenches is pointless - if I need a cone wrench I probably need
bearings as well, and I'm not about to start carrying a jar of ball
bearings and a tube of grease "just in case"

I'd probably have stopped if it were a guy as well, but most guys on
bikes seem to go for more of the Trek Madone kind of thing so it
wouldn't have been an issue

nate