Old December 1st 10, 02:01 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

Default Why Is the Supply of IDIOT Mountain Bikers ENDLESS???

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
"Jeff Strickland" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

[...]
Mr. Vandeman and I want everyone to enjoy wilderness, but on its own
terms, i.e., on foot.

That makes it YOUR terms.

It is hard work to hike and not everyone wants to do it. But those are the
terms if you want wilderness to remain wilderness.

It's hard work to ride a bike. It's not particularly hard work to drive a
Jeep -- unless drinking beer and smoking cigars is counted as being hard --
but the enjoyment of the wilderness where the road is already more than 100
years old is still the same, except for the beer and cigars part.

You do not get to define "enjoyment of wilderness." Sorry. But when you do
that, then I enjoy on your terms. You enjoy on your terms, I'll enjoy on
mine. You may not understand the enjoyment that I experience and you might
go so far as to suggest that there can be no enjoyment in the way I do it,
or bike riders do it, but YOU only get to define your parameters, not mine.
I've been doing wilderness for a very long time, and when visitors stay
on-trail, the wilderness does just fine no matter how they use the trail,
and suffers when anybody (even hikers) go off-trail. "Trail" is the
operative word here, no matter what Vandeman brainswashes you into thinking.

You are confusing nature parks with wilderness.

I suffer no such confusion.