Old March 22nd 19, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Something I've been wondering about.

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 4:19:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 2:22:30 PM UTC-7, James wrote:

Todd Carver says but provides no proof.

I have looked pretty carefully into this. On very hard climbs pedaling circles allows you to maintain your headway. I suppose in that way it can save power as opposed to just pushing down.

But I find that when comparing myself to people I ride with that do not pedal circles that we seem to get tired at the same time. Pulling up is using O2 and lactase in the same manner as pushing down harder.

Now as I get more fit, I can ride a little faster but that is probably from the reduced effort of not having to re-accelerate with every pedal stroke.

I've read results from more recent tests that showed that even racers don't really pull up on the upstroke but they do unweight the upstroking leg. the testers were quite surprised by that. When I get more time I'll t ry to find the article.

Here are few articles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNedIJBZpgM

https://www.triradar.com/training-ad...cy-in-6-weeks/

If you use an Ad Blocker then you have to disable it to see this one.

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/ar...-battle-27049/

Cheers