Old September 15th 04, 08:51 PM
A7N8X-X

I've got a SRAM chain that has a removable link, but I haven't put it on
yet. I bought it for when my cassette wears out. Are the removable links
pretty reliable?

"Weisse Luft" wrote in
message ...

I bet the problem was with the rejoining method. Most chains require
careful assembly to ensure the pin is correctly reinstalled. If the
chain tool's drive pin is just slightly larger than the chain pin,
removal will swage the hole in the side plate a few thiousandth's
larger, resulting in a poor fit.

A worn chain tool will also do this as the drive pin becomes slightly
"mushroomed" with use.

Still one more problem is incorrect setting. In old days, one jsut
needed to work the stiff link out with lateral pressure and flexing.
Not so today as the stiffness may result in the pin pulling out the
wrong way. Most modern chain tools have an additional "fence" to set
the chain clearance. See the complete instructions.

If you use one of the quick links, the chain tool use becomes less
critical. Most quick links are adequately strong but I have had one
come apart in use. I found the parts and was able to reassemble.

--
Weisse Luft