Old July 9th 18, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default speed hub without chain rail

On 7/8/2018 8:15 PM, wrote:
Could pedals be attached to a speedhub like the 8-speed Sturmey-Archer (1:1 to 3.239). Would there be any mechanical issues (installing pedal on both sides) or torque or start up issues?

This is a proof of concept bike, uses no chains or sprockets. I have zero familiarity with these speed hubs, so I expect part or all of my questions to be ill-informed.

Note, I can design and have fabricated mating parts as would be required.

TIA
NetMax

Probably, depending on the application and your level of
determination.
SA gearboxes have found many applications including small
hobbyist lathe gearing and telescope positioning/tracking
mechanism. Yes fabricated mating parts will be required.
The axle needs to be fixed and the drive directed in through
the sprocket/driver, output being at the hubshell. Older
specialty applications used the steel AW hubshell with the
output gear welded on. This may be difficult on the modern
aluminum shells. See nice clear drawings linked he
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/x-rf8

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/