Old November 8th 17, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

Default AG: running stop signs.

On Tue, 07 Nov 2017 10:32:44 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

In the U.S., non-riders regard cyclists as superhuman jerks. The
character "Jef the Cyclist" in the comic strip "Pearls before Swine"
has been toned down from the public perception.

There is nothing one can do about "superhuman", but one *can* refrain
from abetting the perception that we are all jerks.

So when I run a stop sign, I always exaggerate my head movements, to
be sure that observers can see that I'm not just barrelling through
and expecting drivers to magically avoid me. If a child is in
earshot, I narrate my actions so that he will know what he should do
when approaching an intersection.

If I ever notice a child watching me who is too far away to hear, I'll
come to a full, complete, foot-on-the-ground stop. Children shouldn't
be confused with fine details before they master the basics.

Does a bicycle have the right to ignore traffic laws in the U.S.?
--
Cheers,

John B.