Old January 31st 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default New chain waxing technique

Ron Ruff wrote:
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
The solvent
carrier of the Ritchey lube lit right up, and the burning chain,
chainrings, and rear cog were a sight to see. Thirty seconds later,
the fire goes out, the wax is well-distributed around the chain
(although a longer burn would have been prefereable to ensure the
pins heated up sufficiently.) This was quick, easy, and kinda fun.
Maybe White Lightning will do the same...

I think you are onto something... sort of a "flame cleaning/lubing
method"... burn off all that old nasty oil residue. I think the trick
will be to get the right proportion of flammable agents in the mix to
just melt the wax... without also melting your chainrings.

Euh... what kind of chainrings do you use? Non-metal ones that can't handle
a couple hundred degrees?

Opps... what about those plastic jockey wheels?

I forgot to mention that this was on my singlespeed townie. No plastic
anywhere.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training