Old November 13th 04, 04:56 PM
Frank Krygowski

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

The key to defeating MHLs is not to babble like Frank and Roger, it is to
formulate a position based on factual information. You will never convince
politicians to listen to you, as opposed to listening to ER and trauma
physicians, in regards to the statistics on the severity of injuries of
helmeted versus non-helmeted patients; you have no data only speculation.

:-) Steven is intent on disparaging me ever since I pointed out that
he, as a self-proclaimed "lighting expert," really should learn what
"lumens" are, and correct the many resulting mistakes in his "lighting
expert" website!

But the above paragraph contains yet another Scharf mistake. I have
already had politicians listen to me, "as opposed to ER and trauma
physicians." A few years ago, my state legislature was considering a
mandatory helmet law. I (along with another Effective Cycling
instructor) traveled to the capitol and testified before a committee
considering the bill.

It was a gratifying experience. We two were the only ones opposing the
bill, but we had the data the others did not. One legislator was
literally having trouble staying awake through the "Think of the
children!" and "85% effective!" testimony, but literally sat up and took
notice when we began our presentations.

The bill died in that committee.

I can't promise it would happen every time. But Scharf's "You will
never convince politicians to listen to you" is absolutely, totally wrong.

--
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]