Old July 29th 03, 05:24 AM
Jim Edgar

Default Handlebar Shim Question

Looking for a little more reach on the fixed gear, I've dug through the
parts bin and pulled out an old Cinelli steam (1A, I think).

So, when I put it on the Sakae handlebars, it of course slipped.

Drat - must be one of the Cinellis that used a 26.2, while most used a 25.8
diameter.

From recycling, I pull out a soda can, which supplies shim stock of an
appropriate thickness. Two layers of soda can thickness seem to do it.

Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

I can definitly get things tight enough so that it doesn't slip, but I
wonder if I've had to put too much pressure onto the system - I guess it's
the way the little rubber washer has splayed out a bit. Just a little
nervous about slipping bars on a fixed gear.

Input appreciated!

-- Jim

http://www.cyclofiend.com