Old January 6th 17, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default Patina

On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 18:52:22 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/5/2017 6:40 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

Seems like every bike on CL has a patina.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20bik%20patina

What is a patina, anyway, and how do I know if my bike has one?
Is it in the crank, or the headset, or somewhere else?
Can I put an aftermarket patina on a bike that didn't come with one from the factory?
Does Oval Concepts make one?

I like bikes with both patina and cachet. Nothing beats the ride of cachet.

Is that grungy red stuff I see everywhere the paint is chipped on my
antique iron bike considered "patina"? It certainly seems to qualify
as "a fine coating of oxide on the surface of a metal" as my
dictionary describes it :-

--
cheers,

John B.