Old September 8th 17, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Taya Chain

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 3:13:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 3:01:10 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 2:51:48 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 10:20:34 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 8:39:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 6:58:42 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums.../t-335969.html
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...-identify.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...placement.html
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Engine/chains.htm

Doug - those were not plastic gears. It was a COATING that could peel off and cause problems. Mostly they plugged the oil system.

I'd be careful blaming jumped timing on the coating. Tearing through the gears drag racing would beat the timing gears to death and this normally caused the timing gear failures. I've seen a tooth broken off and the jackass still driving it with Lord only knows how the gears would work.

Tom shut yer mouth willya. I towed the old family car home myself from skool, and changed the timing chain and gears; the teeth were nylon and stripped off, and the chain had hopped and the timing marks on the gears were no longer aligned, but off by one tooth. Which is why all the backfiring and spasms when it wouldn't start.

If it was really a plastic gear it would have broken the other teeth off as well. It was a plastic coated steel gear. As I said - generally the worst thing that would happen is that the plastic would peel off and clog the oil system. But when new they did have a more quiet operation.

These were the sorts of cars I actually worked on myself. Until I got too important to have black grease stains all over my hands. Now I have black chain lube stains all over my hands.

You have old-age dementia

And you were referring to American cars and not those weird fereners. American cars from the 70's and 80's didn't use plastic gears.

You said mountain earlier today where you meant mounting, and in lue of where you meant in lieu of, and I'm telling you, when the plastic teeth break off, then the timing chain skips and the car will no longer start.