Old July 18th 04, 03:15 AM
Dave DesRoches

Default Advice on "Comfort Bikes" (Gary Fisher Capitola vs. Giant Sedona)

I guess this "fool" should have been more specific.

I have a Trek road bike I use for breaking a sweat, so my interest in this
category was a quality, recreational ride that didn't necessitate my
clipping into pedals and skidding through sand. Because I have a good road
bike I'm happy with, I wasn't looking to break the bank with this
supplementary ride - but also wanted to purchase a quality bike that would
last.

Thanks to all for their opinions on the subject. Reputability of the shop
and service seem to be recurring themes. Much appreciated!

-Dave

"Bruce Freeburger" "Bruce Freeburger" wrote in message
Dave,
Anyone who is shopping for the best $300 bicycle is a fool. These
are the people you see riding on the sidewalk with their back in a
vertical position, the seat 3" too low, spinning the crank very slow in
a high gear, and the (optional) helmet tilted back like a yamica.
They are clueless as to what a bicycle is for, so they follow the
model of bicycle riding as a child: very short trips on the sidewalk.
They fool themselves that they are getting "exercise" on the bicycle.
The reality is that they barely get their heart rate up high enough, for
long enough minutes, on the short slow sidewalk or bike path rides.
A bicycle uses 1/3 the calories as traveling on foot for the same
distance. These lazy people need to be walking around the block or to
the corner store, not saving effort by riding some overweight tank of a
bicycle.
Having said that the "hybrid" or "comfort" SHOPPER is looking to
AVOID getting a sweat, the best $300 bicycle is like having a beauty
contest for women who must be at least 30% overweight. These are tanks
because: (1) the shoppers are cheapskates who don't want to spent money
or calories, and (2) they ride on the sidewalk and bash the bicycles
into curbs.
Furthermore, the SERVICE CONTRACT you get from a bicycle shop is as
important as the bicycle itself.
Last year I took the owner of a new $350 Trek hybrid on a 38 mile
bike club ride. She rode instead a Schwinn Le Tour road bike that I
bought in a garage sale for $100 and was much lighter. Afterwards we
went to several quality bicycle shops. We found a Specialized road bike
in the back of one bike shop. It was her exact size. The same frame with
better parts (and this year's model) was also there for $1800 sale
price, but this one was two years old and had more economy level parts,
but this was clearly a "racing" road bike suitable for 100 mile rides.
It was on sale for $535 and came with a 3 year service contract.
The vast majority of adults shopping for cheap bicycles to ride on
the sidewalk would be better off getting on a power walking or slow
jogging program.
Cheers,
Bruce Freeburger

Dave DesRoches wrote:
Looking at comfort bikes and my local bike shops carry these models in

the
$300 range.

Thoughts/comments appreciated...

Thx in advance,