Old November 11th 17, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Front axle, what thread?

On 11/11/2017 4:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

I'd like to get rid of the QR on my MTB and replace the
whole chebang with a solid axle, preferably CroMo. I want
the cones and other hardware from the old one to fit. Seems
hard to find these days. What I measure on the existing axle
is a diameter of 0.349" which usually translates to 9mm.
However, most front axles I see are 9.5mm. Are they just
called that or are they really 9.5mm?

Some dealers have 9x1 which I think means 9mm and 24tpi. Is
that the usual standard?

The lengths are also a bit excessive, 155mm where only 140mm
is needed but I could either cover that with something round
(to avoid it tearing into flesh during a crash) or grind it
off.

Most current solid fronts are m9x1 standard metric. Solid
front axles used to be m8x1 and still are for the low end of
bicycles. Your QR front is m9x1

What hub is it? Current Shimano F BO&QR hubs are m9x1

Why not just buy a solid front axle set complete?
Dirt cheap, available anywhere bicycles are commonly
serviced. Replace your bearings while you're in there.

Nope that's not 24tpi they are metric.
Nope 9.5mm was mostly the old rear solid axle format.
Yes solid fronts run about 140mm overall I think your 155mm
number is for a 9.5mm solid rear.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/