Old April 10th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

Default Occidental CEO got more than $400 million in 2006

In article ,
Curtis L. Russell wrote:

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 09:41:16 GMT, Dave Head wrote:

People drive lame-ass SUV's because they occasionally need one and
only have money enough for 1 vehicle. They occasionally need one
because:

1) It snows like hell at least a few times a year, they have to
drive it, and anything else they might buy has a higher chance of
getting stuck in the snow.

That would explain why the most common vehicle stuck in the middle of
the snow bank is a SUV. We didn't have SUVs back in the 1960s and got
to work just fine in Michigan.

ROFL! I had this conversation earlier this year, when an SUV-driving,
rabid modern Republican began bitching about gas prices and declaring
that the government had better do something to bring the price down.
(Yup. Irony abounded). She gave most of the arguments described here.
I drove to work in a blizzard- twice as far as she did- in my 16 year
old Volvo 240. Didn't have the slightest problem. In fact I've not had
any more trouble with the Volvo in Minnesota snow than I did with my old
Bronco II (although the BII *did* drive through unplowed streets after a
28" snowfall without any trouble, but that kind of thing is really rare).

snip

5) What they really need is a large station wagon, but Federal laws
have made it all but impossible to build those, so the next best
thing is an SUV.

Bull - the market is what killed the station wagon, not safety
regulations. If a modern station wagon was built (arguably a Pacifica
is one), it could easily be safer than a SUV - way safer.

An SUV *is* a station wagon. Don't tell anyone.

BTW speaking of modern station wagons:

http://www.volvocars.us/models/v50/

http://www.volvocars.us/models/v70/

http://www.volvocars.us/models/xc70/