Old November 7th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

Default Help! Are there health benefits to unicycling?

hobo_chuck;1126935 wrote:
Depending on what I'm doing I get anywhere from less aerobic exercise
than if I were walking to about the amount achieved from jumping rope,
from less resistance training than if I were sitting watching TV (not
including core balance corrections) to more than if I were pumping it at
the weight room.

That's exactly the problem in terms of aerobic exercise, on a unicycle
you can't just go out and consistently go at a certain intensity for a
certain distance, unless you're just road unicycling on the flat - in
which case you're limited by spinning rather than fitness as to how fast
you can go, unlike on a road bike where you can just change up another
gear. You hit a hill, and you have to work harder, you hit a downhill,
and you have to stop pedalling. Whereas on a road bike, you can choose
how much energy you're putting in at any time.

It's worse on a muni, you can't consistently exercise at all, there's
so much difference between bits you spin out on, and bits you have to
hop over, and between uphills and downhills.

So in terms of aerobic exercise, if you train well on a road bike,
you'll get fitter faster than training well on a unicycle, particularly
doing anything other than riding a high geared road unicycle on the
flat.

Joe

--
joemarshall