Old August 13th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
redwelly

Default How to drill a nightrider 36 rim?

flyer wrote:
Since riding his wheel with shaven tire, 29'er tube, ss spokes and
drilled rim, I really want a similar setup.

And when you tried it, it even had a 36" tube in (after my 29er blew
out before the marathon). It should have been lighter than that!

Sadly the shaven tyre thing means it doesn't last very long - I think
the compound is a bit softer than the TA, and mine is showing threads
at several places (not just turning spots aligned with the cranks
either), after cutting it down to about 1mm of groove depth and then
riding it about 1600km. Now it's going to be kept as my racing/record
breaking tyre and I'll go back to another one for everyday use.

On my rim I drilled three 1/2 inch (yes, randomly imperial drill bits)
holes between each spoke, and enlarged the spoke access holes to the
same 1/2 inch size. I also did 4.5mm holes in each 'corner' of the big
holes - running in two rows around the sides of the inner surface. That
was a lot more work for a lot less benefit than the big holes, but looks
quite cool. The whole thing took three hours with a pillar drill (in a
physics workshop at my university), and I finished with a Nightrider
Pro weighing 1069g.

Yeah, I'm tempted to drill the outside (visible) surface as well and
see what happens. When I get home from work I'll find photos of what I
have done so far to the inside of my rim.

Sam

--
redwelly