Old August 6th 17, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default How long should caliper brake springs last?

On 2017-08-05 12:32, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 11:23:12 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

My 1982 Shimano 600 springs also still work as good as new.
However, I had failure in the past on cheapo road bikes, brake went
mushy and then ... plink ... tchingalingaling ... part of the
spring broke off. Not a big deal and it's usually even possible to
ride home.

Well sure, you can buy all sorts of sh** that will fail -- which is
different from a spring getting soft.

Snapping off or getting soft, either way it will have to be replaced.

So many imaginary hazards!

No hazard. Just fell off and I had to ride home with a brake sitting a
bit cattywompus.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/