Old August 6th 17, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default How long should caliper brake springs last?

On 2017-07-31 20:21, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/31/2017 5:50 PM, sms wrote:
On 7/27/2017 6:40 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 09:57:44 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 7/27/2017 7:08 AM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

In theory maybe but I've never seen that in real life. Rust is
ugly
but
in terms of % reduction of cross section of a spring, it's
meaningless.

The spring is not rusty. But it pops out with no effort, it's just
not
springy anymore. It seems to be fatigued.

The brake sets are cleaned and lubed. I may still order some
springs to
use these brakes on another road bike which has lower quality
brakes. If
I were in Wisconsin, I'm sure that AMuzi would have the springs in
stock, but the shops in Silicon Valley have little interest in
stocking
and selling little parts like this.

Probably because no one but you ever wanted to buy any :-(

Yet they are available online, so clearly someone has wanted them,
and
there are instructions online that refer to the need to replace weak
springs.

There are? Where?

The springs?

No, Joerg. The instructions.

Where are those instructions online that refer to the need to replace
weak springs.?

Why does anyone need instructions to figure out that a weakened spring
is no longer fit for service and should be replaced?

You're diverting the conversation. You said there were instructions
online referring to the need to replace weak springs. You haven't
produced a link.

Where did I write that? Quote please, no blah-blah again that you are
"too busy to back up your statements" or whatever.

In anything remotely like normal use, those springs last forever. The
fail about as often as the mounting nuts split in two.

Good grief, Joerg, it's about 15 lines up in the post!

--
- Frank Krygowski