Old January 30th 18, 05:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Some lives matter. Some don't

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 22:31:12 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/29/2018 8:18 PM, John B. wrote:

The bicyclist was passing on the right in violation of the Mass. law.
thus in simple terms she was in violation of he law. Had she not been
in violation of the law then the accident likely wouldn't occurred.

According to this article, that's not true. Bicycles are legally allowed
to pass on the right in Massachusetts.
http://bikexprt.com/massfacil/laws/passright.htm

Although I certainly wouldn't do it in the trucker right hook situation.
Or any other right hook situation, really.

Yes I read that, in its entirety it says:
"...The driver of a vehicle may, if the roadway is free from
obstruction and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving
vehicles, overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle when the
vehicle overtaken is (a) making of about to make a left turn, (b) upon
a one-way street, or (c) upon any roadway on which traffic is
restricted to one direction of movement."

Which would seem to disqualify a bicycle that is attempting to pass a
vehicle unless said vehicle is (a) making of about to make a left
turn, (b) upon a one-way street, or (c) upon any roadway on which
traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, as the truck
intended to make a R.H. turn, and was not on a one way street nor was
traffic restricted to one direction.

But more important, when one is planning or attempting to pass a
vehicle that due to road construction has the ability to turn directly
into or in front of the bicycle isn't it prudent to pay attention to
what is going on, is a vehicle starting a turn, relative speeds and
positions, apparent intent?

Rather like riding across Farmer Brown's field when the bull is loose
in the field. Never a thought what the Bull's thinking is? Just pedal
along. After all you have a right to use the path?

Over the years I've had good luck with the basic plan of avoiding
contact with things that are larger, heavier, faster, harder or more
aggressive then I am. It has worked well so far :-)

I have also noticed that things that go head to head with objects that
are larger, heavier, faster, harder or more aggressive then selves
are, haven't fared as well.

I've always thought that those who ride bicycles might take heed of
Henry Gray.

Here lies the body of Henry Gray
He died defending his right of way.
His way was right, his will was strong,
But he's just as dead as if he was wrong.

It IS true, you know :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.