Old January 22nd 19, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Wider tires, All-road bikes

On 23/1/19 8:14 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 1:12:07 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

This is one-step removed from the tweed ride. Look at these guys
(from Jan's site):
https://janheine.files.wordpress.com...pg?w=640&h=518

WTF is the deal with handlebar bags these days? One water bottle

and a canvas handlebar bag? If you can stop for water, you can stop
for whatever crap you have in the handlebar bag. The last thing I
want riding on gravel is a bulky canvas handlebar bag to add swing
weight to the bars. Mandatory wool jerseys and dynos. Gak. It all
screams for attention.

A dynamo is something I will eventually add to my gravel bike, I suppose.

:-) Yet if they were in multi-colored lycra jerseys with team and
product logos, they wouldn't be screaming for attention? Hah.

I'm not going to say that those guys didn't make their choices based
on the fashion in their peer group. That happens with some of the
people in any peer group. But it's not a given. FWIW, I started using
handlebar bags in about 1975 and have used them ever since. I don't
stop to drink from my water bottle, and I don't usually stop to take
off my jacket, put on my hat, look at a map, grab a camera, grab a
granola bar, etc. All that stuff is in my handlebar bag and easily
accessible.

I haven't used a handlebar bag since some time in the late 80s. If I
was going touring I might consider it, but without one, I don't stop to
drink from my water bottle. I don't usually stop to put on or take off a
jacket. My hat is mandated by law. I don't stop to grab a piece of
fruit cake, unwrap it and eat it, etc. I do generally stop to take a
photo, but I can grab my phone and answer a call while I'm riding
(though illegal in Australia). All that stuff is easily accessible from
the pockets in my jersey, except my water bottle that is secured in a
bottle cage on the bicycle frame. I have also been known to carry a map
in my back pocket, but I generally stop to read one.

--
JS