Old January 30th 19, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Is black clothing compulsory?

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 14:31:10 +0000
GB wrote:

On 30/01/2019 14:24, Rob Morley wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 10:18:34 +0000
GB wrote:

[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
That's just one half of risk-compensation behaviour, being willing
to take greater personal risk. There's similar evidence that
drivers will put helmet wearers at greater risk by overtaking them
closer and faster than non-helmet wearers.

Glue a wig to the back of your helmet?

ISTR someone (I think as part of one of the studies but I forget) tried
wearing a long blonde wig and found he was given more room.

Seriously, I thought that helmets reduce risk by 70%?

According to one deeply flawed study, I think.

I might wear a helmet if I was riding in extra hazardous conditions,
like a stormy night down a dark country road (but that's mainly because
a helmet provides a handy platform for additional lighting, and stops
your cap blowing off) or on ice (because a helmet will probably provide
protection in a low speed fall) but honestly in many years cycling I've
never hit my head hard - I've broken various other bits, so I have hit
the ground hard on more than one occasion. I recall a young lad in my
club was riding head-down up a steep hill and rode straight into the
back of a parked car - that's the only occasion I've thought that a
helmet might have been incontrovertibly beneficial in providing a
degree of impact protection without any negative implications.