Old May 6th 07, 03:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

Default Cliff plunge mountain biker saved by mobile phone

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On Sat, 5 May 2007 01:11:44 -0500, "Scott G"
wrote:

There's no net "health benefit" to mountain biking (as opposed to
other forms of aerobic exercise). In other words, you are REDUCING the
net benefit by biking off-road.

After 10 years of riding, I've got lower body weight (was 215 now 175),
blood pressure, cholesterol, resting heartrate, and body body fat to
dispute
that claim.

You don't understand. You could have done the same thing with many
other forms of aerobic exercise, which DON'T have the same
environmental drawbacks. NONE of that is specifically due to mountain
biking. There's nothing special about mountain biking that makes it a
better way to get those benefits. Giving credit to mountain biking is
a lie.

Giving credit to a bike for shedding pounds is sorta like giving credit to
you for saving habitat. You could save far more habitat by going after
something that actually is harmful.

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande