Old October 19th 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Radey Shouman

Default Before & after bike ghettos

"Duane Hebert" writes:

"Radey Shouman" wrote in message ...
snip
Sometimes drivers do move deliberately out of my way, I give them a
wave. It's hard to tell if anyone purposefully obstructs me, if they do
they're pretty subtle. No one complains audibly about being passed. If
I were to get in line most would think me dangerously insane.

Pretty much my experience. But Frank seems to think that if someone
obstructs me it's because they are attacking me or something because
it's apparently so rare chez lui.

IIRC, Frank is a semi-retired university professor, who lives in what he
describes as a "village". From what I know of fully-employed
professors, they may work hard, but also enjoy surprising latitude in
how they arrange their schedules. I doubt Frank has had to deal with a
normal urban commute for thirty years or more. Good for him, but he
errs in thinking his good fortune universal.

I only rarely have any sort of audible
interaction though I have friends that seem to get into it more often.

The recent cases that stick in my mind were several for moving (legally)
into a left lane to turn left. Also for being passed, very slowly, by a
club riding two abreast -- that annoyed me as well.