Old August 29th 18, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Combining Ultegra Cassettes 11-34 + 14-28 - 14-34

On 8/29/2018 1:48 PM, wrote:

I went for a ride with a friend last Sunday and I was spun out on my 50/11 and he COASTED by me so fast I had to wonder if he had gone electric.

I do think some people are better (i.e. faster) at coasting. And I'm not
just talking about "aero-bellies." I out-coast pretty much everyone I
ride with, even on my single. My bike's heavy, but I'm not grossly so -
usually 180 pounds, right now 174.

I was an aerodynamics freak for years, regarding cars, motorcycles and
bicycles. It affected my bike equipment choices (mostly bags and aero
bar), my bike clothes (nothing loose and floppy when I'm in "full mating
plumage") and my technique. In particular, the usual downhill into the
valley on the way to work gave me practice at my tuck, IOW my body position.

Also, I'm convinced that many coasters have their butt plopped on the
saddle in stead of suspended on their legs. That means each road ripple
generates more energy loss.

--
- Frank Krygowski