Old August 31st 18, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Combining Ultegra Cassettes 11-34 + 14-28 - 14-34

On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 11:19:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 12:48:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I went for a ride with a friend last Sunday and I was spun out on my 50/11 and he COASTED by me so fast I had to wonder if he had gone electric.

But you said you spin out at 75 rpm. A 50x11 at 75 rpm is a whopping 26.9 mph. Frank, Jay, me, Lou, Andy and everyone else would have coasted by you sitting bolt upright with our arms in the air giving the victory salute at the finish line. I can coast up to 26.9 mph on the trails in my town, and they are converted railroad beds so they are very gradual climbs. 1%.

If I'm warmed up sufficiently I CAN turn perhaps 110 rpm for a while. With a very powerful tailwind I have ridden 5 miles on the flats at 28 mph with a 50/12. Coasting downhill and having some heavy guy flash by you motivates you to turn faster.