Old June 27th 03, 01:33 AM
Alan McClure

Default Getting over the mighty log (jumping that is)

"Jon Bond" wrote in message
t...

"Alan McClure" wrote in message
So, when most of you come across a log on the trail--let's say it is

8-12
inches tall.

Do You:

1) get off and carry your bike over
2) hop over it
3)bunny hop over it
4)Other

You see, out of all the obstacles I come across, this is the only one

that
consistently stumps me. I can get over them most of the time(especially
when they are smaller--heheheh), but it never feels smooth(rear wheel
bumps), sometimes I hit my chainring, and 1/3 of the time I fall or get
stuck. I am so frustrated because I can't seem to figure out how to get
over them easily after many, many times trying. Soooo, what do you all

do
when you see a log up ahead? And, what do you recommend me trying.

I'll
practice anything if it'll help.

Thanks,

Alan McClure

Hop it. If its under 6", and i've got speed, I'll just jump the sucker.

don't have a great bunny hop, its more of a lift both wheels at once
clipless cheating thing, so anything bigger than that and I do my second
technique, which is basically a slow motion bunnyhop (I've done it on logs
up to approx 26"/wheelsize) -

Approach log fairly slowly, but not superslow. Figure middle front, one

of
the three largest rear. Rock backwards on the bike, pulling the bar with
you, and get the front wheel on the very top of the log. Try to stay
forward on the bike, over the bars, when you get to the log - if you're

too
far back, then you'll simply run right into the log with the rear wheel

and
fall. Ok, here's the important step - and its pretty hard to do without
clipless. What you want to do is pull up the rear wheel and put it on top
of the log. At the same time, you want to throw the front of the bike
forwards and down. This is a VERY explosive move, you actually get both
tires off the ground for a bit. If you really do it well, and have enough
speed, you can actually clear the whole log this way. Usually, especially
on bigger logs, you'll simply end up with the front wheel down on the
ground, and the rear wheel on top. If you had the speed perfect, and do

it
right, then the wheel will come right off, and not even hit the top hard.
If not, you can give a very small pedal stroke and just watch your

balance.

Here's pretty much what I'm talking about, although Charlie doesn't quite
get the rear wheel all the way on top. Give 'im some slack tho, he is in
his mid 60s (and can still outpace me anyday, the guy's an animal!)
http://pages.prodigy.com/CharlieB/log.htm

Hope that helps.

Jon Bond

Okay, between photos 3 and 4, is he surging forward using a pedal stroke
that just hasn't been photographed, or is he just shifting his weight
forward (like in a bunny hop) explosively and letting the momentum carry him
up and over. I must say, that he makes it look super easy, and yet, I can't
imagine doing it myself. That is incredible.

Alan