Old February 23rd 18, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default Ouch. This happened to me once

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:21:31 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 2/19/2018 10:32 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...shing-car.html

(I was test riding a customer's race bike when Asian Kitchen delivery
turned in. They replaced his bike.)

How odd! The magic paint somehow failed to prevent the collision!

In the U.S. it would have been mirror image, so a right hook. Over
there, it's a left hook. Either way, it's a common collision.

And this illustrates the weirdness of the bike lane concept. Under
what circumstances would a straight-ahead motoring lane be placed
between the curb and a lane where turns are permitted? And when would
a motorist think it's safe to "undertake" like that when a vehicle has
its turn signal blinking?

It's an interesting question. The legalities of course hinge on the
specifics of the UK traffic laws and I have no idea what they are. For
that matter, I don't know what the law says about this in Minnesota. As
a cyclist, if I was in that situation I would stop and give way to the
car- even if it was my right of way, in a collision the car would win.
Sometimes drivers will signal to me that they have seen me and
to proceed, but I never assume they've seen me otherwise.

There is a discussion locally about pedestrian safety. So far this
year, some 30 pedestrians have been hit by vehicles in St. Paul. A few
years ago a law was passed giving pedestrians the right of way at all
intersections except where controlled by a stoplight and walk signal as
that governs right of way in those intersections. However, drivers and
pedestrians are getting worse at it rather than better over time!
between 1/1 - 2/11/16 there were 19 car-ped collisions and 2 car-bike
collisions in St. Paul; the same period in 2017 it was 25 and 0; this
year it as been 30 and 2. One pedestrian fatality and 27 injured this
year, no bicyclist fatalities and two with injuries.

https://www.stpaul.gov/departments/p...a-city-st-paul