Old December 8th 17, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 23:20:11 -0800, sms
wrote:
On 12/6/2017 7:00 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 06:46:01 -0800, sms
wrote:
Yes. The trade-off needs to be made. I'm sure we'd all run out and
buy a dynamo light if it was possible to build one that was adequate
for the riding conditions we experience. Unfortunately it isn't yet
possible to build such a dynamo light.

Good grief, Steven. What bull**** you spout. There are people
around the world riding pefectly contentedly all night long on bikes
with dynamo lights- and have been for decades, even before the
advancements of LEDs and computer designed mirrors and lenses.

Now, for some reason *you* don't find those satisfactory. That's
fine. But that's about you and your preferences, not about the lights
themselves.

No, it's not about *me*. I don't pretend to know what's best for
everyone else, nor do I dismiss the needs of of others simply because
I don't have the same needs. By the same token, I do recognize that

Oh, Steven, really? You just posted, and I quote, the notion that:

I'm sure we'd all run out and buy a dynamo light if it was possible
to build one that was adequate for the riding conditions we
experience. Unfortunately it isn't yet possible to build such a
dynamo light.

Do you just not hear yourself?

"It isn't yet possible" to build an adequate dynamo light. This is not
a one-off. You have stated that sentiment possibly hundreds of times in
the past decade or so. You are rebutted alomst every time by people who
ride perfectly happy with dynamo lights (and consider them superior to
battery powered lights) and yet it never sinks in that your subjective
notion is not objective fact. It's puzzling, actually, that you are so
resistant to considering the possibility that dynamo driven lights *are*
already adequate.

What would be adequate for you? A 1000 lux lamp with 180 degree beam?
10,000 lux? A light that forces every other road user to come to a stop
and put their hands over their eyes to prevent blindness?

At some point it stops being about illumination and becomes aggression.

snip

I just came back from a meeting tonight, where we discussed a proposal
for new bicycle infrastructure that would be an east-west path through
most of our city, including linking the current and new Apple campuses

snip overly long URL because it aggravates my newsreader

The first question I asked was "will it be lit?" I received a somewhat
evasive answer. The route would run along Santa Clara County Water
District right-of-way, and they generally don't allow lighting in
riparian areas. However in this case, it's just a drainage ditch not a
stream or creek so they might allow it. It matters. This would be a
heavily used commute route that would definitely not be used just from
dawn to dusk.

Around here when those discussions occur it is usually about safety from
bad people hding in the shadows and less about seeing where one is
going. Most of our local off-street bike routes are on old rail ROWs,
which tend to go through the less safe and less affluent parts of town.
I suppose that's because the nicer and safer parts of town can afford to
buy the political influence to keep the rail ROWs away from them...