Old January 22nd 19, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Wider tires, All-road bikes

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 4:54:35 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
Snipped
I rode and raced on 19mm SuperComp HDs, and they were fine. I like more of a footprint these days. BTW, the 28mm 4Seasons on my Synapse are really grippy. I was very impressed this weekend, riding them in the rain -- probably better than the 32s on my commuter. Like I said, I think its all about compound.

-- Jay Beattie.

Agreed!

I LOVED my 19mm Super Comp HD tires and I'd use them again in a heartbeat IF they were new and not NOS t hat have been sitting around for a couple of decades who knows where in the shop.

As I mentioned in another post in I think another thread, winter MTB tires I use are judged by the compound's grippiness not the price. Heck I've had MTB 26 x 2.125 tires that were so grippy on black ice (city buil;t temporary outdoor skating rinks) that I never bothered to try studded tires and that was because I never needed a studded tire for riding on ice. The ONLY time I considered studs was when i had a pair of cheap knobby tires that froze rock hard when really cold and thus had virtually no grip. Lean the bike with those tires just a bit on ice and the bike would slide out from under you. Compound is what makes or breaks a winter tire in my opinion. Others, their MMV.

CHeers