Old January 24th 19, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
GB[_5_]

Default Is black clothing compulsory?

On 24/01/2019 12:24, Tom Evans wrote:

I drive in London, as a driver I know to drive at a speed where I can
see and stop if something is in front of me on the road, regardless of
it being darkly coloured. The fact that you admit not being able to do
this suggests that you are driving dangerously. The extra fact that the
cyclist did have a light, which you appear to have discounted rather
than slowed down for, suggests you are a seriously dangerous driver.

I entirely agree with you. My point is precisely that there are lots of
other seriously dangerous drivers out there. There are obvious
precautions cyclists can take, and I recommend taking them.

By the way, I did "drive at a speed where I can see and stop if
something is in front of me on the road, regardless of it being darkly
coloured".

I wrote 'nearly wrote off' in the OP. Bit of hyperbole there, I'm
afraid. So, your comments are entirely justified, based on what I wrote,
but the reality wasn't that bad.

I was doing under 20MPH, but there are loads of drivers who do 40 on
that road. (The limit is 30.) It's quite a steep hill, so the cyclist
can't have been doing much more than 5MPH unless he's seriously fit.